Thursday, April 16, 2015

Who I Am - by Mike

Disclaimer: Mike’s learning disabilities made it hard for him to sequence. Extremely hard. So when you read his writings please don’t think, well, he forgot me when he said that. Mike would talk about whatever he was thinking about at the time. Not as an exclusion of other things – not always in a particular order of priority. When I am asked a question I give it deep thought. Too much thought most of the time. It is who I am. Just like that, so it was for Mike only without the sequencing. Enough said. J
 
Finding the better side of things - Mike 2012


Mike and I spent a lot of time together in the hospital. Things were hectic while he was inpatient. But I would try and do things to change it up while he was there. When he was a kid he had lots of homework but there would always be time to throw balls in the hallway or catch a movie or think up a shenanigan or two to play on the nurses. God bless those nurses.

I am a good dancer - Mike 2012
I took a scrapbook class that I thought would be fun to do with each of my children. I told Mike he was going to be first and be my guinea pig. He reluctantly agreed. He didn’t want to write so I would have to do that for him but he would dictate. There was a series of questions. Each of us would write our answers. Then I would scrapbook them and we would be able to see how alike and different we are/were.

Who I am Today
Mike Van Deurzen 2012

I’m a 29 year old CF survivor. I’m a brother to two younger blood brothers, half-brothers and I’m a brother to brothers in a motorcycle club Top Hats. I am trying to be an inspiration to other people through my journey with CF. I dance, play guitar and prospect. I try to do more than people expect of me. Who I am today lives within the day after facing death. I realize how precious the people in my life are and what a gift it is to have them and have this day to live! I appreciate people and life. I appreciate the time God has given me. I didn't plan for my future because I didn't think I would have one.

This is what I’m good at
I am good at trying to find the better side of things when things don’t look so good. I’m good at guitar and riding my motorcycle and dancing.

Notes said he is a loyal friend, good at reading people, trusting and disciplined - stuff we never finished writing about.

We never finished this exercise . . .there were several other questions that were left unanswered. I never answered mine.

I am going through Mike’s stuff and I am finding precious nuggets like this one. It reminds me what a wonderful son I had. He was a good person. I am blessed.

We are thinking about selling this great big house. It suited our needs perfectly when we had our blended family. But Katie moved out and Mike is gone so we don’t need this big huge house any longer.
As I drove home from work today this thought ran across my mind . . . “I wonder if God will bless us with a buyer for our house so we can move . . .” Then I stopped and corrected myself, “I wonder HOW God will bless us through this process? Will we get a buyer for our house and move to a new home or will we be blessed to stay here for a few more years . . .?”

I play guitar Mike 2012
I am good at trying to find the 
better side of things when things 
don’t look so good. Mike 2012

Whatever God’s plan is, it is to bless us. If there is one thing I have learned it is that. God uses everything he allows to happen in our lives to bless us.

Who I am Today
Gina Thiesfeldt 2015

I am a Christian, a wife and a mother. I am a stronger Christian, a more loving wife and a better mother because of that young man and his influence on my life and the way God blessed me through him.

Missing me some Mike . . .as Katie would say…..missing me some Mike.

It is very difficult to go through all of his stuff and clean out his room. I was upstairs the other day taking pictures of an almost empty room for the real estate ad. Camera in hand I was pretty somber . . and then I heard the pipes and I ran. I got all the way to the porch and waved like a crazy lady. My boys had stopped at the corner, just like I asked them too. . .they waited for me and waved and then off they went. It took my somber moment and turned it around. That’s what we can do for each other – lift each other up. That is where the hole in our hearts that Mike left seeps out and blesses others. Well, you know me, I wasn’t going to let an opportunity like that pass me by with a camera in my hand. . . of course I snapped a picture.


I try to do more than people expect of me. Mike VanDeurzen 2012

Last night Amy and I were up on the third floor going through Mike's stuff and Art drove by - vroommm.

Tonight I was in Mike's room again and someone drove past – a couple. This time I only made it to the window at the top of the stairs but I saw the vest! Coincidence? Karma? No - blessing. God gives me exactly what I need to have peace. Sometimes that is in memories . . .sometimes in writings that I find and sometimes by a bunch of bikers ;) . . .but always through HIM.

I hope whatever you are facing that you get to see the blessings God is sending with the trials. If you can’t see them then I pray you can trust Him. Trust that He is working this out for your good . . .just like he promised. There is nothing bigger than Him – not even CF.


Blessings to you. Love, Love, LOVE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you.... Diane