Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Agony of Defeat

Unless you have an awesome coach like Mr. Zunker. Today was one of those tough lessons in life. One of those occasions you wouldn't wish on your child. Yet a time where you see a defining moment for your child unfold in front of your eyes. Would this be a positive or negative experience? Most likely lasting . . . either way. As a parent you understand the importance of life lessons - no matter how hard to endure.

Richard had a soccer tournament today. David was running a fever so Paul stayed home with him. I got to go to the game. It was so awesome to see him play. The kids all played hard, worked well as a team, and no one got hurt. The third game was tough. After two games the kids were getting tired. They continued to play their little hearts out. Fifth and sixth grade girls and boys. So fun to see the progress they have made through the season. Richard had never played soccer before this year. He loves it and it shows. He tries very hard and gives his all. In the third game the score was 1 - 1. They had won a game and lost a game. With the score tied and only seconds left in the game the ball was down in front of the goal. Richie jumped high into the air and headed the ball into the goal for a tie breaking score . . . . . for the other team. Yep, you read that right. With only seconds left in the game he headed the ball in the wrong direction, over our goalies head and into the net. I saw the goal but didn't see his header.

I walked over to get Richie and his look told me something was very wrong. I thought he was hurt. He said something about the ball hitting his head and going into the goal. I still didn't get it. He could hardly talk. He put his things in the trunk of the car and would hardly look up. I tried to ask again what happened and he said never mind and slammed the car door shut. This wasn't my Richie. As I started to get in the car Mr. Zunker came running up to the car. "Is Richie all right?" he asked. I thought oh no maybe he IS hurt. Mr. Zunker continued (he didn't see Richie was already in the back seat), "I don't want him to be upset about what just happened. He's had such a great season, I don't want it to end on a bad note." He then realized Richie was in the back seat and looked at him and continued, "Richie, that could have happened to anyone, it wasn't your fault. It just happened. This happens sometimes. You had a great season and played really well. I don't want you to think about this when you think about this season. I want you to think about what a great season you had." He then looked at me and asked, "Richard hasn't ever played soccer before this year?" I told him no. "That's really amazing because he has really done a great job. It has been a pleasure to coach him. I really hope he can put this behind him and think about what a great year it has been."

Now I'm not remembering the conversation exactly word for word, but that was pretty much the gist of it. What an awesome man. What an awesome coach. What a caring person to come and catch us at that exact moment to ease Richard's pain. It changed Richard's entire attitude. On the way home Richie said, "Well, I guess I go home now and start to practice basketball." Wow, this could have been a completely different 45 minute ride home.


Thank you Mr. Zunker!


Thank you for taking the time to make a difference in my child's life.


Thank you for taking the time to coach these kids. What a wonderful example you are to them.


At this age, an experience like that could have made Richard afraid to put himself out there and decide not to try again. Instead it was a learning and growth experience. A positive experience. He is looking forward to trying to play basketball. All because a man saw value in touching the life of a child. I am so thankful Richie had this experience. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Mr. Zunker.
Great season Panthers!

Gail and Karrie - thanks for coming to the game! It was great to see you!

No comments: