Saturday, April 18, 2009

Memory Work

I have been wanting to share this for awhile and today is the day! Many women have asked me about this since I have shared it in a Bible class and with a few others. It works for me so it may work for someone else too.

I love to study the Bible. I also really love to memorize scripture but I find the older I get the more difficult this becomes. I piece of advice I would give younger folks is making reading scripture part of your daily routine when you are young and don't forget to add memorizing a passage here and there to that!


To help me in my goal to add scripture to my life I use my scrapbooking - of course. I'll wait now while you put on your surpised look. I use a little photo book that can be purchased at Walgreens between $1 & $2. It holds about 36 photos or I should say 36 memory cards. (See photo above - this is one of the unaltered photo books) As I am reading the Bible I have my blank index cards close by. When I see a passage I really like I flag it and when I am done with my reading I put it on a card. I usually use my colorful markers. Sometimes I just use the computer and use color. The color seems to help me memorize. Once in a while I even doodle on the cards to help me memorize. I also get a lot of my passages from books I read like the ones by Elizabeth George - whatever speaks to me at the time.




When I go for a walk the little book goes with me. I keep two books. One for passages I want to memorize and one for passages I have already memorized and keep reviewing. I usually take the one of passages I have already memorized with me and just stick a passage I haven't memorized in there too for the 20 min walk. That way I can review and look at the new passage. The book goes with me while I fold laundry or when I am making dinner. I can usually get a passage down in a few days (with verse) if I stick with it. The review really helps. I just can't seem to keep this all in my head for long but this really works for me. Now I fall off the wagon for days sometimes but then I see my little book (sometimes it is in my purse) and I am reminded to get back on that horse.


What do you do to memorize scripture?
Blessings!

No comments: