Saturday, April 30, 2011

Great Strides 2011



Perfect day for a walk!


Pete kept the boys entertained while we got everyone registered.

The walk started at the Yacht club.

The boys had fun on the rocks.

I kept warm inside.

They had muffins and milk and juice for the walkers.

It was really windy but it was a good crowd!


Our team name was "Hike for Mike"




Here are a few of our team members. My friends, Mike and Dianne came and Missy and Mike and Katie and Missy's friend. We all hung out inside out of the wind until the 5K walk started.



Everyone who raised $100 or more received a CF Great Strides T-shirt.



This was our entire team - many others were with us in spirit!

This touched my heart. You know, sometimes I don't take time to sit down and explain things to David. Partially, because I understand that things can happen and plans can change at a moments notice. I hold back so that if we have to change plans he doesn't have dashed expectations. So I only told David about the walk two days ago. I told him we were going to walk to help Mike. He didn't say much and today as we got ready I told him this is the day we would walk to help his brother. He asked where etc., and as I answered I added that we were raising money to help Mike with his CF. He came up to me a bit later and asked, "Mom, why do we drop money?



I said, "David, we aren't going to drop money we are going to raise money. People are going to give money to help Mike fight CF so he doesn't get so sick." David went over to his box of money he has been collecting and grabbed the two dollar bills he had. After further thought he put one of the bills back and grabbed some coins. He asked me if he could give his dollars to raise money. I said sure and didn't think much more of it. After dropping the coins several times I asked him to put his money in his pocket and keep it there. He obeyed. While standing together at the Yacht club suddenly David walked up to Mike and said, "Here Mike, here is some money for you!" In his hand was the dollar and coins and he was cheerfully handing them over to help his brother. It was so sweet. He doesn't totally understand but his heart is in the right place. My heart took a picture of that moment. His generosity and the generosity of so many others helped our team raise $1000. We are so grateful for your support.



David decided he was too tired to walk. He got a ride from Pete.


Mike figured if it worked for David . . .



It was a great day filled with memories. Memories for my kids of coming together to show our support for Mike. Thank you all for making this possible. Thanks for being a part of our memories. God bless you!



1 comment:

LuAnn said...

what a great day for your family !!!