Monday, May 2, 2011

I have a dream . . .

I have had a secret dream for several years now. I didn't think this particular dream was really possible so I just kept it safe in my heart. Things get so busy and my life had other priorities. Every once in a while I would let it surface and I would dream about it. It made me happy to think about it and then I would realize it probably couldn't be and I would pack it away to think about later. And then Mike started getting really sick. My dream kept surfacing. I started to ache thinking that I hadn't lived my dream. I've gotten older and things are harder. Why hadn't I sought out my dream?

My dream is quite simple really. But to really understand my dream you need a little background. When I was about 5 years old my father taught me how to dance. It was fun. I loved it. I looked forward to dances - there seemed to be one all the time. My mom and dad would go out dancing. I loved watching my mom get all dressed up. My mom and dad were really good dancers. People loved to watch them dance. They danced as one. It was amazing. Time went by and disco came on the scene (I know - I'm dating myself here!). Girls would dance by themselves with other girls. I couldn't get into it. I never tried. Then someone asked me to take dance lessons. It was awesome. I was hooked. Dancing with a partner and putting the same steps my father had taught me to modern music was fun! I fell in love with dancing again.

I won my first dance contest on my 18th birthday. I also did a show on local TV. It was exciting that dancing was such a big deal. I remember people clapping when I would be out dancing in a crowd. I remember the same thing happened to my parents. It seemed to make people happy to watch. It was great exercise too. I took lessons and gave free lessons to anyone who wanted them. I could dance both partners positions. And then I entered a dance marathon. I danced for 60 hours (that's another whole blog post). I got kind of burned out after that. I didn't dance much after I had Katie and Mike. Once in a while someone would ask me to show them something but not often. Then I moved to Texas and learned several western dances. Caught the bug again.

The years passed and I didn't dance for a long time. Then Mike asked a girl to prom. I offered that I could teach him and his friend how to dance. He didn't think much of it at first but I coaxed him into it. They had fun learning. I remember how shy they were at first. Well as they say, the rest is history. Mike didn't stop dancing. He is an amazing dancer thanks to Julie and Frank. He entered dance contests with Julie and won some trophies. One day while I was scrapbooking Mike said, "Mom, you should take a picture of us with our trophies and do a scrapbook page." What a great idea. I had a trophy from the dance marathon and he had several. Why hadn't I thought about that? I never got around to taking the picture.

Then one day I shared my dream with Mike. I told him how I would love to learn to dance with him well enough to enter a contest. We don't need to place or anything. I will be happy to just get a certificate that we participated but I would love to learn a whole dance with Mike. So that is my secret dream. Mike is on board. He is thrilled to be a part of it. Frank and Julie both offered to help choreograph something. But I have to learn to dance again. I have forgotten so much and the dances have once again changed. You just can't learn this overnight.

Julie gives Salsa lessons (Mike's favorite) on Friday nights. (Go here to check it out!) For only $5 a person you can take a group lesson. I started to attend. They are a blast. I have a friend who started to take private lessons with Julie. He offered that I could go along - free - Thanks Pete! After a few lessons I was having trouble with my back. I am going through physical therapy to try and fix some problems I have had for years. This has put my dream on hold. I haven't been able to dance for weeks.

I wish I could have done this years ago but pregnancies and small children did not allow the time. I don't regret my choices at all. Now I am hoping to have the opportunity - God willing. Paul is very supportive of my dream even though he knows it will take some time. It is time I am taking for me. Time that, once I get better, I will be able to spend with Mike. I wish Mike could teach me but he doesn't always feel the best. And when he is feeling good he has a very special someone to dance with! He and Missy dance as one. It is amazing to watch. I pray we will be able to dance together some day. What a blessing and dream come true that would be.

I finally got that picture with Mike. The big trophy is mine from the dance marathon. The other three are Mikes! Love this young man.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.

Love, love, love.
Blessings to you.

No comments: