Saturday, June 5, 2010

The 5th Anniversary . . .

Of the day Dr. Massick saved this little boys life.


That is how Paul usually refers to David's birthday. And rightly so. Actually, it still sometimes amazes me that he is here. Divine intervention for sure. We are thankful.

After 5 miscarriages I said enough. We tried so hard to give Richard a sibling close in age. In fact Katie and I were pregnant and due just a few weeks apart. Everyone thought this was the next generation of Duane and Shellie. But then I miscarried and said enough. I felt that God had blessed me with a grandson and I was happy with that. Richard would have a nephew close in age instead of a brother. Truly a blessing but God had another plan.

I was more than just a little surprised to find myself pregnant at 44. It was a little scary going through the pregnancy. But all seemed fine going into the delivery. There I was with my friend Kamala as my doula and Paul there for support, certain that even though I was 20 days away from turning 45 I could get through natural childbirth one last time. But again God had another plan. Davids chord prolapsed and there we were uncertain of the outcome as I watched his heart rate drop dramatically. Dr. Massick moved quickly and doctors and nurses ran. A nurse pushed back on David's head to relieve the pressure that was choking the blood and oxygen from his chord. Minutes seemed to drag as I waited for his cry. There was a small complication and Dr. Massick pressed on. Finally, as Paul was walking into the room (thanks to Kamala) we heard his faint cry. They took him away and I told Paul to follow him. He would know what to do if anything went wrong. David was fine. He perked right up and they watched him for a while and said there didn't seem to be any problems. Divine intervention for sure. We still praise God for his blessings.


So for David it is another birthday. A special birthday turning 5! A birthday that means he will get to go to school next year with his nephew and brother. A birthday that he was sure meant LOTS of presents! He wasn't disappointed. Unless you count the fact that a couple of the bags contained clothes that he wasn't thrilled about. But he won't even remember that next year. He will just remember that he got lots of presents. Some of which we may use again next year when it comes time to anti up "lots" of presents ;). And in years to come when I look back at the video I don't know which will be more endearing, hearing him say, "What, you gotta be kidding me!" (when opening, to his dismay, the shirt and tie) or his proclamation, "This is a great birthday!" while waiting for the next present to be handed to him. He is such a character!

Thank you grandma Kristi, grandma Nettie and grandpa Bob, Uncle Mark and Uncle Jeremy for helping to make this a special day for David. Hard to believe the planning didn't start until late on Wed night when Mike called and said surgery wouldn't be until Monday. I couldn't have done this without all your help!

Blessings!

No comments: