Monday, June 21, 2010

I got to see him dance tonight!

This dance thing . . . actually started with my mom and dad. They were great dancers. People actually paid them to dance in their taverns - get people going and all. They were really good. I say were because they don't dance much anymore.

My dad taught us to dance when we were little. Does anyone remember when the bar up the street would have street dances? Barricade off the block and fire up a band. It was so much fun. Weddings always had a band back in the day too. I can remember doing the polka with Uncle Jim and you would count how many times your feet actually hit the dance floor, as he swung you around, lol.

Then came disco and I wasn't much into that so I sat like a little wall flower. But then Arthur Murray came on the scene and started teaching ballroom dancing again. Swing, fox trots, hustles, it was fab. Won my first dance contest on my 18th birthday. A few years later after dancing for 60 hours in a dance marathon, I got kind of burned out. Hung up the shoes so to speak but I had many lessons under my belt.

I would teach Katie and Mike how to dance at weddings when they were little. They didn't show much interest. But then Mike got into high school and proms came. I taught he and his friend some swing steps and the rest is history. Mike loves to dance. I love to watch him. He has enjoyed learning to dance and going to competitions. Julie has taught him so much. Now he dances at Frank's studio also. He gives lessons. Check it out some time!

Here is a pic of him dancing tonight with Julie. Outside, down at Buttermilk park. I was far away and it was getting dark but my heart took a picture. He is living my dream - dancing. I loved to dance. I think I will have to pick this up again.

It is hard to believe when you look at this picture that he is dancing with 50% lung capacity.

Hard to believe he needs oxygen at night.

Hard to believe he has to work so hard to be able to do this.

Hard to believe that a few weeks from now he won't be able to do this. . . and then by God's grace he will dance again.

Hard to believe.

I'm still working on the post to let you all know where Mike is at and how he is doing. It is coming, it is just hard.

When I blog about Mike to keep you all posted as to how he is doing, I will put his news at the top of my posts so that those of you who love him don't have to dig through all the other stuff to get an update. How does that sound? Good. I thought that might be better.

******************************

In other news. . .
This VERY special young man turned "7" last week. Happy birthday to my grandson GAGE! His mom got him a new bike!
We celebrated with donuts and candles early in the morning!
He is so precious.
And in funny sayings last week - this one tops the list:
Driving in the car to the store . . .
Richard: Mom, do churches have humor?
Mom: Well, ahhmmmm, . . . I don't know . . . I mean I think so, well I don't think there is anything wrong with humor I guess, why?
Richard, very straight faced with no emotion in his voice . . .

"Well, that sign back there on the Methodist church said,
Text while driving if you want to meet Jesus.
I guess that was a joke, huh?!?"

No comments: