Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Mt. Rushmore

Dear Mike,

Today is our last day in Rapid City, South Dakota. We are having a good time. Here are some pictures so you and grandma can see what we've been up to. She doesn't go on Facebook so maybe she can see them here:

I know you can relate to this picture. After a tour of a mine the boys are panning for gold. David wants to get rich so he can spend lots of money on video games.

Here we all are at our destination - Mt. Rushmore. So amazing what man can do when he puts his mind to something.

This one was taken at the Bad Lands. You know how much I like heights (NOT) so I was always behind the camera and away from the edge.

Your brothers are very happy that you got to bungee jump when you were a kid. They used this against me so they could go for a helicopter ride.


Today is my birthday and Paul took me a few blocks from the hotel to a rose garden so I could take some pictures. Flowers remind me of God's promise of heaven - beautiful. My favorite is the one on the top. So pretty.

I am thankful for this time away. It gives me time to reflect on life and ponder the things deep in my heart and mind. I'm still thinking about some of the conversations we have had. Some of the things you ponder too.

Mike, I know you know why we are here. That is huge. So many people struggle with this initial question. You know we are here to glorify God with our lives.

You wonder why God could allow you to suffer with CF. Could the answer be the same? Remember the parable of the blind man (John 9)? The disciples asked Jesus whose sin was this, his or his parents?

 3“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus,
“but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. 4As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me.”

But you struggle with this because you are not perfect. I don't think that blind man was either. None of us are. Jesus did not come for the perfect. He tells us that it is the sick who need a doctor. He came for you and for me and we are far from perfect. You doubt God's love. I have doubted God's love. Everyone has doubted God's love at some point on this journey.

People are drawn to you Mike. They see you are suffering and they admire your courage and strength. You continue to persevere because of your faith. Psalm 34:18 tells us "The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart." The Lord is near you. He hears and sees your broken heart. God doesn't ask for perfection. He asks for us. He wants you. Just the way you are. We are redeemed through the salvation granted to us by grace through the salvation that Jesus won for us. Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us "For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, lest anyone should boast."

So remember the things you have always known. It is not about what you have done or left undone. It is all about what Jesus has done for you. You don't need to think about anything but what Jesus has given you freely through his grace - forgiveness and eternal life.

Let God's perfect peace surround you and lift you up at all times. When you are tempted fall back on His words.

I miss you. I can't wait to see you. Come home soon.

Blessings to you.


No comments: