Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Be still and know that I am God

This was the most emotional day of my life.

I am sitting here waiting for sleep and I am praying for peace. I am thinking about all my brothers and sisters in Christ and I am hopeful and confident that you are continuing to lift us all up in prayer. I pray this finds you all at peace as well. I am becoming more and more conscious every day of the incredible impact the man I call son has had on the lives of so many and I pray for your peace also.

Mike had a pretty good day. What does that mean? He had times of blessed peaceful rest and he had times of comfort with family and friends. He lived this day . . . fully.

Pastor Haugly came down and blessed us by reminding us of God's promises. Have I said, "God bless that man?!" God gives us just what we need, exactly when we need it and today it came in the form of Pastor Haugly.

There are so many things in death that try and take away our peace. But we don't have to let them. I don't know if I fully understood that before today.

Choices need to be made. When we are tired and weary these choices can seem overwhelming. But then we need to pause - be still and know that I am God. We are not calling all the shots here.

Yes, I have choices and Mike has choices. But God chose the time of Mike's Grace before Mike was even born. After being still and listening to God's promises once again, I was reminded that I don't have to have any worries. There is no way Mike's life will be made one minute longer or one minute shorter than God wills it to be. . .than God has already planned for it to be. Thank you my heavenly Father for carrying this burden for Mike and for me. This brings me peace. 

Thank you all once again for your continued prayers and support. I had a few moments today . . .I did, I surely did. But God put my friends and family right where I needed them to be and I got through those fleeting moments and I found my way back to God's peace. It's always right there - God has it right there waiting for us to grab on to.

I talked incessantly today. Everyone was so patient with me. God gave me words and answered my questions - exactly when I needed Him to. Thanks to all of you He used to bless me in this way.

I am in AWE.......of all the love that is being shared by so many friends and family through this experience. I can feel it. Mike can feel it. I can't put into words what a comfort it is to watch Mike get to experience all this love. All the love Mike gave away during his life is now coming back to comfort and support him in his death. So often I see people die without having known how others feel about them. Without knowing the impact they made on other's lives. We somehow think that we can whisper death away. That isn't how Mike lived and it isn't how I would want him to die. I am so thankful. Mike is thankful and it brings him great peace.
 
Telling Mike how you feel right now is giving him validation for this fight he has fought. It is telling him that his life mattered and my friends, that is why we are here. To glorify God with our lives and Mike has done that and in so doing his time of Grace will soon end. Well done good and faithful servant. And now dear friends it is time for comfort and peace. For Mike, for you and for me.

John 14 Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." And that will be exactly when I have decided it will be . . .OK, Jesus didn't say that last sentence. I'm just reminding myself ;)

Please, please, please continue to pray for all of us. This journey makes us weary and prayer keeps us going.



 
Michael Richard Van Deurzen, Jr.
He's My Son

 
Peace, peace, peace.

2 comments:

Megan Van Lieshout said...

Gina, Mike, Katie and Mikey- This is so incredibly touching. Mikey has been a true blessing in all our lives. I wish him all the peace in the world on his final journey. Please give him a HUGE hug from "Aunt Megan". I miss him SO MUCH!! You, Mike, Katie and Mikey have touched us all in ways you will never know by sharing this incredible journey to keep us all up to date. You have brought such awareness to people about CF. Please know there are countless people praying in all our communities individually and with prayer chains for peace for all of you. All my love,
Megan Van Lieshout

Linda Gauthier said...

Gina, you are an amazing woman of faith and love. You raised an even more amazing son. It warms my heart to see the outpouring of love for Mike. He has touched so many lives with his strength, courage, love and faith. I hope this brings you peace and comfort. Reading your blogs and the facebook posting of his friends inspires me to be a better person, to love more, to appreciate all of the blessings that God has given me. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. God bless all those who have had the privilege to know and be loved by Mike.