Sunday, September 21, 2014

The Final Round

Mike has taken to the analogy of One More Round. He even has it tattooed on his chest. He told me he wanted to get this tattoo so that when he went in for surgery the doctors would see it and know that they should continue to treat him - he wanted One More Round!

I think that it is important for all the folks who know and love Mike to understand he is in the final round.

Whether he makes it a few more days, a few more weeks, a few more months or more is yet to be determined. One thing we can count on is that Mike will keep fighting.

Mike has shared with us and with many on the hospital and clinic staff that he has had a good life. You are all a part of that - what a blessing.

He has gotten to do all that he has wanted to do. He has lived fully.

Much of Mike's life has been difficult and this final round will most likely not be much different. To say it is difficult does not rule out any of the blessings or beauty that it is or has been.

I have been amazed on more occasions than I could possibly count, at how Mike continues to live life so fully. When so many others - myself included - are whining over trials of miniscule proportion compared to the realities that face Mike and other CFers on a daily basis, he presses on with grateful intention. He plans....he executes....he thinks of others before himself.....he lives.
 
 
Philippians 2:3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
 

I believe that because death has been a reality for so long, something that has been a part of his every conscious thought and decision, it has given him his insatiable appetite for life. 
 

I believe that this will be the legacy he  leaves for those of us who are fortunate enough to know him. For all of us whom he calls mom, dad, sister, brother, aunt, uncle and friend.
 I'm no theologian . . .
Sitting here in reflection I pause. . .
My thoughts are scattered and heartfelt. . .
I am thankful for the blessing and privilege of this gift of a son that God has blessed me with. My heart leaps out of my chest with all the thankfulness and praise I have to my God for honoring me with this gift and all the experiences I have had with Mike.

Because of Mike
     I love more deeply
Because of Mike
     I am more accepting of others
Because of Mike
     I am more forgiving and accepting of forgiveness
Because of Mike
     I judge others less
Because of Mike
     I will live life with grateful intention
Because of Mike
     I will live life more fully

In reflection there is only love.
Love keeps no record of wrongs.
I can testify that these words are true - sitting where I am sitting now - there is only love. Truth.

Mike told his father and me that he kinda feels badly for us because we will have to bury him. He will fall asleep in Jesus' arms and awake to paradise. With no time constraints on the other side, everyone he knows and loves will be there in heaven with him. He knows that we will miss him until we are reunited in heaven some day. 

We assured him our hearts will be full with all the loving memories we will have from a life well lived. We couldn't have imagined when we held him at birth, all the love and joy he would bring to our lives. We are filled with gratitude.


I have no greater joy than to hear that my children 
are walking in the truth. 3 John 1:4

Mike is giving us a wonderful gift. We will not be burdened in his death with having to wonder . . We know he is a child of God and he will be living with the One True King.

Live on sweet son, live on. 

Press on toward the goal.

Forgetting what is behind and straining toward 
what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to 
win the prize for which God has called me 
heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13

It is an honor to share and be a witness to your final round.

Love, love, love
Mom and Dad
 
P.S. Thank you for respecting Mike's wishes during his final round.
P.S.S. Mike would love to hear from you. If you would like to share any thoughts with him please feel free to do so in the comments below. He will be able to read them or we will read them to him as time permits.

Peace and blessings to you!

24 comments:

Karen Hafemann said...

Thanks for the update on your beautiful family. Sending prayers and love your way.

Jenni Jerabek said...

Wow Gina, beautifully written! It brought lots of tears to the eyes! I admire Mike & you & your family more than I can put into words. Sending lots of prayers for you all. Mike, keep fighting the good fight & kick some butt in the final round! :) God's blessings to you all. Lots of love!♡

Unknown said...

Mike and Family,
I have known (and worked) with your sister Katie for quite some time, and that turned into a great friendship. She is such a special person, as are all of you.

Katie has always shared how you are doing and how you are living life. I appreciate this so much, as every word your mother writes, every story your sister tells or posts, makes an impact not only on my life, but so many others around us. You continue to teach us why we are here, what we should be doing, and how we are to treat others. You are in inspiration to so many.

You (and your entire family) have such great strength.....that many of us admire!

Lots of prayers being sent your way.

Kara

Unknown said...

Gina, Mike and Katie all of you have always amazed me with your strenth, faith, love and courage! I have so much love and respect for all of you!
Mike you've always been such an inspiration to all that were blessed to know you! :) Keep the faith and stay strong! Sending lots of prayers and love your way!

Jeff & Cindy said...

Mike & Family,

You all are in our prayers. Prayers for comfort & peace. We can not imagine what you are going thru. Blessings, Jeff & Cindy (Can Tab Ride)

Margo gahagan said...

Bless your heart Mike, bless your sweet heart

Anonymous said...

Tell mike I love him and you are all in my prayers. -Berta Cloud

Unknown said...

Majik, I cherish every moment we spend together. Stay strong Bro, we love you. Stretch.

M Jones said...

I have never met you, Mike, but you are a wonderful example of strong Christian faith. I am praying our loving Savior wraps His arms around you and your family, giving you strength and peace. I look forward to meeting you in heaven one day.

Margo gahagan said...

Prayers for a peaceful journey, mike.

Unknown said...

Hello Mike, I just wanted to let you know that Brian, Zaria and I are cheering you on. We love you so much Bro! Sending prays your way...make this one heck of a last round!
Lots and lots of love,
Melissa, Brian, Zaria and your dog buddy Torx!

Anonymous said...

Gina,

We have not had an opportunity to meet but my daughter, Lauren, and Mike were friends with a common link--cystic fibrosis. Lauren was born in 1985 so she and Mike were close in age and they were sometimes admitted at UWH at the same time. When Mike was there Lauren would call me and say "Mom! The hot guy is here too!" The two of them always managed to have a good time under the worst of circumstances :) Lauren lost her fight with CF in September of 2011, age 26.

I know at this time Mike is beginning his journey to heaven and my heart aches for you and all you must be feeling. For me, Lauren's journey was bittersweet. I couldn't bear to let my daughter go and yet I knew, deep in my soul, that the only cure for CF was to let go and let God.

Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and that a special angel will greet your son in heaven.

Lisbeth Rogers

Anonymous said...

Mike ~ Even though we haven't seen you for a while, we have so many wonderful memories! Loving thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Love,
The Nabbefeld Family

Anonymous said...

Stay strong Bro your an inspiration for the rest of us May God bless you and keep you safe during this hard time....one more round brother

Anonymous said...

Dear Gina, Katie and Mikey, Your family has always been blessed with an amazing strength. Continue on - Stay strong. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Lin Przybyl. Your Colleyville neighbor

Gina, your words are such a beautiful expression of your love and strength. Thank you for sharing your journey. Hugs-Lin.

Anonymous said...

Mike,
I have so many memories of you from Texas and Wisconsin. May the Lord wrap continue to wrap his loving arms around you!! Stay strong! Your faith is amazing!!
Karrie Race

Megan Van Lieshout said...

Gina- Amie and Nichole updated me on Mike's condition. I think of you all so often and my heart goes out to you. Please give Mikey (and Katie) an extra big hug from "Aunt Megan" and let Mike know how much I love him and am praying for him and the entire family during this difficult time. He is just so remarkably strong and brave!! He is an inspiration to us all.
All my love,
Megan Van Lieshout

Anonymous said...

Mike, I do not know you on this earth, but am thankful to God I will know you in heaven one day. Thank you for sharing your faith and giving glory to God in your life. May you always feel God's loving presence every hour of every day. Diane Callkins

Unknown said...

Mike, you really are an inspiration and role model to all people with chronic illness. Your faith and your attitude amaze & help me to look on the bright side, myself. I pray for you and your family every day. May God surround you with his peace & comfort, always.
Blessings to you!
Sincerely,
Amy Stellmacher

Anonymous said...

Mike, I’m not sure if you get your strength from your mom or if she gets it from you, but you are both such an inspiration. Your faith, courage and strength are beyond words. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts & prayers.
Joy Hanson

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike its Uncle Darick. I am writing as a person who has admired your extremely gutsy trek from a greater distance than I should have. I am quite sure that I am not the only one. I say that I’m not the only one, not to excuse myself, but to let you know the countless lives you touch and inspire. I hope you know that for every person who comments here there are countless others at a loss for words to describe your awesome, inspirational fight for life.
I know you are aware of my own medical battles in childhood and while that should have qualified me to discuss most any topic imaginable with you, more often than not it did not. Every time I saw you I was reminded that any moment spent away from a hospital is a precious moment to JUST LIVE YOUR LIFE. I see that in you. We all just want to be “normal”. “Normal” and hospitals don’t have much in common. Normal is when you are day to day with family and friends – not inside a hospital or sitting around talking about it.
At the same time it is in a hospital that you have fought your biggest battles and overcome the largest obstacles in your life. Perhaps the best thing I ever carried with me out of a hospital was the ability to pray effectively. First I’d pray that the current danger I faced would be taken from me. Secondly, I’d give prayers of thanks that my time of grace had been extended. I know you learned how to pray too. No one overcomes what YOU have in life Mike without learning how to effectively plead with and petition our Father in heaven. What a gift God gave us in teaching us to pray!
I could ramble on for days especially for all the many times I should have stopped you at a family gathering to say; Wow you are AWESOME, Such a Fighter, You are Admired! I was afraid of dragging you back through re-living some bygone medical experience you probably did not want to be reminded of – So I said nothing at all. But you should know that you were always in my thoughts and prayers.
I’ve been asked countless times that after surviving Stage 4 childhood cancer, where do I draw continued inspiration from? My answer is simple – my nephew Mike. I carried a cross for a length of time but that cross was lifted from me. I had a disease I’ve gotten to the other side of that. My nephew has carried HIS cross continuously – WOW knowing what Mike has overcome, I think I can face and do anything!
Gina I was especially touched by Mike’s concern that his parents will have to bury him. It awakened a corner in my heart not stirred for a long, long time. I reached a point in my bout with cancer that I just accepted the fact that I would likely die. I was tired, so much pain and looking forward to what was next. I felt like the only good, comfortable, pain-free next step would be in heaven and my life here-after. But I looked at my mom, and dad and siblings –everyone I knew. I thought “Wait a minute they have so many years yet to go before they will catch up with me in heaven!” I know in heaven all MY suffering will end but I know they love me so much and I know there will be such a whole in their lives if I leave. You know what God’s Will Be Done – But I am going to pray for more time, I am going to fight to have my time of Grace extended here on earth! As I said I have rambled on far too long here but you should know that while I can’t speak for Mike I am very sure his hard-fought battle is a testimony to his enduring love for his family and loved-ones. I am sure that, like me, he has drawn as much inspiration from those he loves as they all have from him. Perhaps it is time I learn from him once again and remind those that I love how much they have inspired me. We can all learn from Mike that it is never too soon or late to tell those you love how important they really are. We are a family. We sustain, help and draw strength from one another. May we all learn from Mike’s wonderful examples! God Bless You All!

Anonymous said...

Gina,
I stumbled upon this news. Mike and your family are in my thoughts and prayers! ((Hug))

Christine Bischoff

Anonymous said...

I've had the pleasure of knowing mike for the last 10 yrs , even to be his girlfriend. You are the most sweetest genuine guy I have ever met. I'm happy to call you my friend and the time we had and all the laughs that I'll never forget. Any time with you was always a great time! Especially when our group was together.
One more round. I'll be praying and thinking of you.
((Hugs))

Anonymous said...

I met Mike when I was 16, I never imagined that it would blossom into the friendship that he and I have shared. He has been such an amazing friend and inspiration to me throughout the years. You wrote so well that because of Mike I love more deeply and have lived life more fully. He taught me how to live, how to make the most of every moment that we have on this planet and I will always be in debted to him for that. I cannot imagine this life without his smile, laugh, and hunger for life. Thinking of Mike, his family, friends, and all those whose lives he has touched, this is a trying time for us all... - April Wagner